Tuesday, January 31, 2006


January 15, 2006: a night shot of West Vancouver, from Jericho Beach


So there was no rain this evening, and in fact it was relatively clear. So I wanted to go to Jericho Beach with my camera and tripod to take some night photography, especially of downtown. Kathryn braved the cold (ok, it's all relative. 3 degrees may be a warm evening for Toronto in January, but in Vancouver terms, it's cold) with me to make the trek. I set the shutter speed slow, but what I discovered is that it's not wise to have your ISO set to 1600 if you want nice night shots that give the impression it's dark. This results in the picture looking like there's more ambient light than there really is, as well as lower-quality shots as detail is lost. Nevertheless, I thought this picture of West Vancouver was interesting, with the beach adding a somehow other-worldly, martian effect.

No comments: