Saturday, July 29, 2006

About Yaletown

Yaletown was a grimy industrial annex to downtown Vancouver on the north side of Burrard Inlet. Then Expo '86 came along, and the whole area was levelled to make room for the fairgrounds. After Expo, the area was again levelled, and is now a very trendy urban residential area. I think it's a pretty funky place, but a little too 'urban' for us to actually live in at this moment.

There's a certain dichotamous je ne sais quoi about the area. (I know, it's a pretentious-sounding sentence) It's a place filled with buildings that are either really old and industrial looking - invariably converted into very cool commercial space, or are very new high-rise residential buildings. A little away from the inlet, and you are very much aware you're in an unban area. Along the inlet, though, there's lots of manicured green space and walkways.

A bit about the weather:

If you saw my entry July 22, I was complaining about the heat. So compare that to the weather for today, and the upcoming week. Now it's quite a bit cooler than normal for the height of summer! The thing is, I actually like the cooler forecast. Now I can sleep at night...

No comments: